Wednesday, 11 February 2026

St Thomas Becket a Medieval Church of Romney Marsh

The day's tour started with a visit to St. Thomas Becket, Fairfield. On arrival a Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) was quartering the fields, before heading away up and over the hedgeline. A Great White Egret (Andrea alba) was noted as it stalked along the length of a drain.

Collecting the Church Key from where it hung on the garden wall of the nearby house, I crossed the wet mud and sheep sh*t covered field to the small bridge over a drain which allowed access to the higher ground upon which the Church stood. Having taken my boots off at the door, I proceeded inside to explore.











Upon leaving the Church I met a Stome Mason who was also visiting the Church for the first time, I handed him the key to the door, and in the course of our conversation about understanding the wider vocabulary of church architecture he recommended the book "Rice's Language of Buildings" (see reference below). Back at the car whilst taking a coffee break I proceeded to order the book online.

References

Campbell, J., and Campbell, D. (2012 ) The Medieval Churches of Romney Marsh Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust

Ricde, M., (2018) Rice's Language of Buildings Bloomsbury Publishing PLC London

No comments:

Post a Comment